Are you looking to further or begin your career in transportation? Break into the transportation sector with a position at TMC Transportation. Whether you are just starting out or are a seasoned vet in the industry, TMC Transportation is a great choice for trucking professionals.
ABOUT TMC TRANSPORTATION
Founded in the early 1970’s by Harrold Annett with an office staff of two, TMC has been a shining example of excellence in the flatbed industry for the last five decades. Based out of Des Moines, Iowa, they are currently an employee-owned program.
TMC’s reputation is bolstered by their integrity, innovation, highly-trained drivers, immaculately maintained late-model equipment, superior reputation for safety and unwavering dedication to quality and customer service. At their HQ in Des Moines, you’ll find a 50-acre campus which houses the latest in training and maintenance facilities. You’ll also see the industries first driver hospitality center along with Black and Chrome truck sales.
EMPLOYMENT AT TMC
There are positions for everyone at TMC from drivers to office jobs at corporate in Des Moines. If you’re just starting, or looking to take the next step in your career, TMC is a suitable place for you. Here is some background into what to expect.
TMC looks for reliable and motivated individuals that will help them maintain their goal as an excellent carrier, backed by their impeccable service. Currently, they are looking for Maintenance Techs, Sales Reps, Fleet Managers and various types of drivers. You can also find positions related to administration and accounting on their career page.
TMC prides itself on its high level service and company culture. You’ll find the best equipment in the industry, professional fleet managers and high standards in safety for their drivers. TMC places its focus on the safety and care of their drivers, as well as communicating to them the appreciation for their work.
The pros outweigh the cons for TMC however there are a few according to some employees. A lazy work ethic will not fit with this company. They say that if you plan to work for TMC, prepare to work to meet with their high standards. There can be some penalties for not keeping your truck maintained inside and out. There can also be some certain situations where working hours are longer than normal.
APPLYING TO TMC
There are quite a few openings right now. You can visit http://www.tmctrans.com/careers to find which one suits you best. You can also contact their HR department at 1-800-247-2460 for more information. Take in to consideration your experience and educational background when applying to certain positions.
Here are a few tips when applying,
- Check and double check your application form. It will be your first impression to your possible first employer. If you have any spelling errors or your resume is of poor format, you may come off as unprofessional.
- Study your position. Check the job description to make sure you can confidently meet the requirements. You can check other sources on the internet to see how the job may be preformed. Check the company’s mission statement to make sure it matches up with your values and if you could see yourself making a commitment to them.
- Take a look at the benefits. They list their benefits offered on their careers page so check them out to see if they can benefit your growth in your career.
If you get to an interview its important to be honest, open and to remain yourself! You want to work for a company that accepts you for who you are. It will benefit you in the long-run with job happiness. Be sure to prepare for the interview! You can find frequent interview questions on sites such as Glassdoor and prepare answers for popular ones. This will give you a professional appearance that you were well prepared and act as a plus in your favor.
Some questions you could expect in an interview are,
- What is your philosophy on safety practices?
- Have you had any violations either as a commercial or personal operator in the last 5 years?
- Why do you want to work for TMC?
It would also be a safe bet to expect an interviewer to ask you questions based upon items that are listed on your resume. Be prepared to answer questions based around your previous employment or certification listings such as,
- Why do you want to leave your current employer?
- Could you expand on your tasks at your last company?
- What was your biggest challenge in previous work?
Another popular interview discussion is salary. You could be asked on what type of salary you expect to receive, but don’t shy away from this question! Simply state what you expect to earn or that you are open to negotiation.
TMC is a great company for hard working people who value customer service and a company that cares about its employees. As long as you meet the requirements and prepare yourself well for both the interview and application process, you will surely succeed.